Service Membership is the level of membership that confers the most benefits. This level of AGCAS membership is for the careers and employability services (including those serving individual schools, faculties or departments) of institutions which offer HE provision.
Full Membership is the individual membership category open to staff who work in Member Services.
Staff who work in an instituion which has a Service Member but who are not themselves line managed by the named Head of Service of that Service Member are eligible for Affiliate Membership of AGCAS.
To be eligible for Service membership:
• the institution must offer study programmes at higher education level;
• the institution must provides careers and employment services to students of higher education programmes;
• the institution must have a defined careers and employment service, which
has both a head of service and already has or commits to matrix accreditation (matrix
reaccreditation every six years is required for continued membership of
• membership of AGCAS should not be sought to pursue commercial
Holders of Service Membership are entitled to the maximum benefits bestowed by AGCAS membership. In particular:
• AGCAS training courses – reduction in price (40% Full Members
and 30% Affiliate Members);
• AGCAS publications – reduction in price;
• Membership of AGCAS task groups;
• Access to all areas of the AGCAS website, including discussion fora,
email discussion lists and free information downloads;
• AGCAS conferences - reduction in price;
• Free copies of Phoenix and ARENA.
Fees for Service Membership 2012-13
Please see Service Membership Guide for Applicants below.
This is appropriate for individuals working within a careers service that has Service Membership. Examples include careers advisers, employment advisers, information officers, information technology specialists, administrators, service managers, specialist careers advisers, DLHE officers and work placement officers. If a head of service approves an application, it is likely to be agreed by AGCAS.
Full Members are able to vote in AGCAS elections, to become Board members and to chair AGCAS task groups.
This is relevant to staff employed by an institution that has Service Membership, but who work outside the Member Service.
Affiliate Members are able to chair AGCAS task groups, but do not have voting rights within AGCAS.
Applying for Service Membership
1. Complete an application form (available below).
2.If there is already a Member Service in the institution, we will require its Head of Service to support your application;
3.You will be notified of the decision approving or denying your application.
4. If your application is approved, you (usually the head of service) will receive an invoice from AGCAS for the membership fees.
5. Contact us if you experience any difficulties with the application process.
Applying for Full or Affiliate Membership
If you are an individual within an institution that already has Service Membership then speak to the head of service about applying for Full or Affiliate Membership as they will have to approve your application - only applications signed by a designated head of service will be considered. Fees for Full or Affiliate Membership 2012-2013
• Full Membership - £30.55 (excl VAT)
• Affiliate Membership - £60.86 (excl VAT)
Membership transfer and cancellation
If you are an individual with Full Membership and you are moving to another institution with Service Membership, you will need to complete a membership transfer form (available below).
If you are an individual with Affiliate Membership and you are moving to another institution with Service Membership, you will need to reapply for membership.
If you need to cancel your AGCAS membership, you will need to complete a membership cancellation form (available below).
The completion of these forms ensures that we have a record of your amended status, allowing us to update our central records.
Service Membership downloads
Full Membership downloads
Affiliate Membership downloads
If items are locked please check that you are registered and signed in to ensure that you can see all parts of the site to which you have been given access.